Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default We must be right in the sh1t ...

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
In case you still don't get it, my point was that 'energy saving' is
the vehicle that this pup is being sold to us on. I don't believe for
one moment that anyone who might be responsible for introducing this,
can have arrived at the conclusion that for the expense and disruption
to the industry that will be involved, the power saving will be
worthwhile IN THE GRAND SCHEME OF THINGS.

Right. So you're making a political point. Why not just say so rather
than try and dress it up?

The only place that it's being 'dressed up' is in your silly head.
Please just wind your neck in and shut up if you don't have anything
useful to add.

Well, I've tried to start a discussion about vacuum cleaner design. but
you apparently aren't interested. Which leads me to conclude your reasons
for starting this thread. Of course if you'd like to say how much you like
the EU and want to continue being a member...

And if it *really* is, and EU departments honestly believe (or know)
that power saving levels such as this are going to be needed, then we
really *are* in the **** ...

That can be said about any energy saving measure.

No. It can only be said about ones that are stupidly small for the
potential disruption, such as this one. You really do come out with
ever dumber crap by the day ...

The potential disruption? Isn't that rather over the top even for you?

And I don't "ignore the rest". They are by-products of the basic
legislation, and largely immaterial to it. If you reduce the size of
the motor, it's going to get quieter or and / or suck less. If you
shift less air through the cleaner, then it's also likely, if you
keep the same level of filtering, that dust emissions back into the
air will be reduced.

You seem determined not to discuss whether it is possible to make a vacuum
cleaner more efficient. Which would at least me on topic for here.

Where have I refused to discuss it ? All I have said is that I don't
believe that there is much power saving to actually be had, without
compromising the performance of the machine.

You must have missed the point I made earlier. Of the three vacuum
cleaners I have here, the most powerful one as regards suction - and by
quite some margin - has an 800 watt motor. The least powerful an 1800 watt
motor. The latter also being the newest one. But my conclusion that the
power consumption of a vacuum has little to do with its performance
doesn't seem to fit in with your ideological rant.

Most that have entered the
discussion seem to be largely of the same opinion. Vacuum cleaners
*may* have been more 'efficient' in the past with their motors of
lesser power than we have now. But by the same token, the motor / fan
was only sucking through a cloth or paper bag, and typically up a
fairly straightforward air path. Since the manufacturers have
introduced all the high level filtering, that is no longer the case,
and is probably why motor power had to increase.

BTW, have you read the entire EU document on the subject?

Yes

So give a summary of all it says. Not just the Mail version.

--
*Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.