Posted to uk.d-i-y
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default We must be right in the sh1t ...

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
news

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Arfa Daily
wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Adrian wrote:
Except, of course, the problem for those people is not the
regulation
per se - nor even any of the implications or reasons for it. It's
pure
and simple the _source_ of the regulation. Given that source,
they'll
pick holes in ANYTHING. Black is white. Today is Wednesday.

Quite. If the EU regulated to abolish income tax they'd still
complain.

Sometimes Dave, you make the silliest of comments ...

It's you that started it, Arfa. With the usual scare story about an EU
reg.

It's not a story, it's a fact, and as ever, you have completely
misunderstood the original point of what I was saying, going off on one
of your tangents. I say again, your comment about taxation was totally
irrelevant to the discussion, and just plain silly ...

I think Our Dave has been drinking non-unleaded today, what with his
bee in the bonnet about Dyson and now this.

Possibly. The original point that I was making was, I thought, quite
straightforward, in that the new legislation was being 'sold' to us on the
back of that catch-all of 'power saving', which is automatically
associated with global warming, or 'climate change' as it has now subtly
slid over to, and thus qualifies it as 'a good thing'. Clearly, the amount
of power saving is extremely small in the grand scale of things, as a
vacuum cleaner is not an item that is used for hours at a time, or even
all that often these days compared to in the past. So the point was that
if power saving was the *real* reason behind the legislation, and it was
honestly believed that such a small amount was necessary, then the powers
that be must be a lot more worried about our generation capacity than they
are letting on.

The other stuff like noise and exhaust dust emission that have been
attached to the legislation are additional smokescreens to make it look
more attractive overall to the public. I suppose that reducing the noise
level of any item that intrinsically produces it as a by-product of its
operation is not a bad thing, but is it *really* an issue with a vacuum
cleaner ? Many kitchen blenders make as much if not more noise than some
vacuum cleaners.

Arfa

Energy saving is about a multitude of small things.
Draughtproofing one window doesn't save much but if you do the whole
house....