Posted to alt.home.repair
David L. Martel[_2_] David L. Martel[_2_] is offline

Default Brine tank overflow

Oren,

How old is the resin in the system?

Have you ever emptied and cleaned the brine tank?

This is the first time I emptied and cleaned the tank. I don't know how
old the system is, but I'm guessing 15 years old.

Typically resin only last for ~15 years, 25 at most -depending on
quality of the resin. Dirt from the brine tank (salt does have some
dirt) may have settled in the resin tank. Time to change it...

(I presume there have been no water line repairs on your street)

I'd guess, based on the crud in the water and the newly installed tank
that he's on a well. None of his symptoms suggest any problem with the
resin. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You are wasting this guy's time and
money with the resin advice.

Dave M.