Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default What do you think.

On Wednesday, August 27, 2014 11:38:19 AM UTC-4, nestork wrote:
micky;3276767 Wrote:

Aren't you in Canada? I looked for this and found a good hit from

New

South Wales. I'm trying to figure out if I know what this would be

called in the US, and I can't think of anything, but I asked somewhere

else.

Micky: Yes, I live in Canada.

Try Googling "legal caveat" or "property caveat".

This web site:

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...9010855AAIR8H4

explains what property caveats are.

Essentially, just in the same way that a lien against a house means that

the house can't be sold without the lien holder being paid first out of

the proceeds of the sale, a caveat informs the Land Titles Office that

someone else has some form of interest in the house (or other property),

and that it can't be sold without permission from a court.

So, if someone who took one of those $300 gift certificates ever wanted

to sell their house, they'd have to get the Court's permission, and that

Court would undoubtedly rule that the house can't be sold without the

realtor's permission or, according to the agreement, without the realtor

acting as the real estate agent in the sale.

You have a very vivid imagination. Can you show us one case where
the company doing the gift certificates has done this, ie put what
amounts to a lien on someone's property?

It's a shrewd sales tactic by the realtor, and one that's not going to

earn him any word of mouth advertising, but animosity instead.

It's not shrewd, it's pretty stupid. But whatever it is, you
acknowledge it would earn the realtor animosity.
So, how many local realtors do you think are going to do it then? It's
particularly absurd because when the homeowner finds out that they've
put a caveat on his property, then the realtor is likely in a hostile
position vis-a-vis the home owner. Think many realtors want that?
Years before the sale process has even started?

All I see in it for a realty firm is a lot of trouble. Which is probably
why there isn't one participating firm showing up when I entered my zipcode.