Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default The headboard is finished!

On 8/27/2014 8:19 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
On 8/27/2014 4:12 PM, Leon wrote:

With the gel stain I applied to about the same 1~2 sq.ft. area before
wiping off. I did all of the edges first and proceeded to the faces.
With the gel stain you only have to apply and then immediately wipe off
and in the same motion wipe off the excess, wipe until there overlay is
gone. You cant wipe too much but you can wipe too little. The second
buffing is not necessary as is with the gel varnish.
If yu get to a thick dry spot just apply a bit more stain and rub out
immediately. The glob will melt down quickly. Over lap marks are
nonexistent, it does not get darker unless you don't rub off the excess
quickly and that is not permanent.

I let this dry thoroughly over night before varnishing.

Pretty much the same procedure as the gel varnish except for the
second/last wipe down/buff.

Thanks. Allowing for the ingenuity of fools, would you call this method
(almost) foolproof? It seems simple enough. What about dust nibs? Since
you wipe off the excess with each step, are these less of a problem? Do
you do any sanding/steel wooling between coats? Do you do any buffing
after the last coat is dry?

I forgot to mention with gel stains and varnishes dust is really not an
issue. It is not unusual for sawdust to blow on a freshly applied and
buffed surface, just blow it off. I even apply the gel stain or varnish
to one side of a panel and flip it over and to the other immediately. I
don't worry about dust at all.

It is pretty much fool proof providing you wipe the applied stain or
varnish "immediately". It starts setting up pretty quickly and your
rags will stick to the surface if you don't wipe off the excess and buff
with a second clean rag immediately.

No sanding between coats. If you end up with any dust nibs you simply
let the last coat surface cure for a few days and gently rub them out
with a piece of printer paper or grocery store bag paper wrapped around
a block of wood. That will normally give yo a baby butt smooth surface.

Once you learn to apply the gel stains and varnishes you may never use
anything else. I switched about 25 years ago and seldom use anything else.

One odd thing about gels varnishes however, I have only seen them in
satin sheen's. If you want gloss you need to go with a liquid gloss
varnish.

Remember, read the instructions. With Old Masters gel varnish, wipe on
a 1~2 sq.ft. area quickly and immediately wipe off the excess, then
immediately with a clean rag buff out the surface. Iuse Scott's blue
paper shop towels for every step. You will find yourself rebuffing
previously covered areas at the overlap locations. If you feel any drag
what so ever when wiping off excess or buffing you are not starting
those steps soon enough after applying the varnish. I can't stress
"immediately" enough. If you saw my video you see that I don't wait for
any of the steps. You will need a minimum of 2~3 coats of varnish and
or until you get a consistent sheen.

---
protection is active.