Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default The headboard is finished!

On 8/27/2014 4:12 PM, Leon wrote:

With the gel stain I applied to about the same 1~2 sq.ft. area before
wiping off. I did all of the edges first and proceeded to the faces.
With the gel stain you only have to apply and then immediately wipe off
and in the same motion wipe off the excess, wipe until there overlay is
gone. You cant wipe too much but you can wipe too little. The second
buffing is not necessary as is with the gel varnish.
If yu get to a thick dry spot just apply a bit more stain and rub out
immediately. The glob will melt down quickly. Over lap marks are
nonexistent, it does not get darker unless you don't rub off the excess
quickly and that is not permanent.

I let this dry thoroughly over night before varnishing.

Pretty much the same procedure as the gel varnish except for the
second/last wipe down/buff.

Thanks. Allowing for the ingenuity of fools, would you call this method
(almost) foolproof? It seems simple enough. What about dust nibs? Since
you wipe off the excess with each step, are these less of a problem? Do
you do any sanding/steel wooling between coats? Do you do any buffing
after the last coat is dry?

---