Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John B. slocomb John B. slocomb is offline

Default How The A-10 Warthog Became 'The Most Survivable Plane Ever Built'

On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 07:54:45 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"John B. Slocomb" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 01:02:12 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Did "Navy Yards" build ships? I thought that all navy vessels were
built under contract. Portsmouth Navy Yard, in New Hampshire didn't
built ships but did do maintenance. The U.S. Army Arsenals may have
made small arms but certainly never in the necessary quantities to
support a war. Or, at least in every war since the Revolution the
Army
has obtained small arms from outside sources.
--
Cheers,
John B.

The Portsmouth Navy Yard most certainly DID build submarines until
1969, in 1958 I watched the Growler slide out of the construction shed
and into the river, drenching us.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth_Naval_Shipyard
Afterwards I toured a Diesel boat and decided not to join the Navy.
Now they only refurbish them at dockside. On their 200th anniversary
Open House I walked through the boomer USS Maine.

Yes, a while after I wrote that reply I remembered a fellow I talked
to about welding and he was telling me about when he worked on
submarines and the Union used to take them out on strike at,
Portsmouth. I was going to correct my message but you were too fast
for me.

The Army made service rifles at the Springfield Armory until McNamara
closed it.
http://www.nps.gov/spar/index.htm

The government armories weren't large enough to quickly supply an
all-out war because officially our peacetime policies prevented the
next one.

-jsw

Certainly, exactly as I said.
--