Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Wilson Michael Wilson is offline

Default Brine tank overflow

On Wednesday, August 27, 2014 9:36:26 AM UTC-5, Oren wrote:
On Wed, 27 Aug 2014 08:50:26 -0400, "David L. Martel"

wrote:

Michael,

It may help if you tell us what brand of water softener you have. Sounds

as if one of the valves is not closing tight. With the "residue" problem

I'm thinking that you need to flush the crap out of your holding tank and

pipes. Get the crud out of the brine tank too. Once your water is fairly

clear run the softener through a few cycles without salt to flush the crud

out of the valves. If that does it, great. If not you'llneed to clean or

rebuild the valves.

Dave M.

Will the water clear up by turning the bypass valve?

How old is the resin in the system?

Have you ever emptied and cleaned the brine tank?

This is the first time I emptied and cleaned the tank. I don't know how old the system is, but I'm guessing 15 years old.