Nova

Default Large Chunks of Soft Maple Any Good

Phil wrote:

My neighbor just cut down some old soft maples (100 years plus) and there
are several large sections from around the base that are around 5 feet in
diamiter and at least 36 inches thick. Granted I'd have to cut them down
down to turning size, but is soft maple good for turning bowls? Sorry if
this sounds like a newbe, but I am to turning bowls. Thanks

The majority of the figured maple (curly, flamed, etc.) commercially available
is of the soft variety. I'd say "Go for it!"

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA