Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mogulah@hotmail.com is offline

Default How The A-10 Warthog Became 'The Most Survivable Plane Ever Built'

On Tuesday, August 26, 2014 3:07:42 PM UTC-4, jon_banquer wrote:
On Tuesday, August 26, 2014 7:31:28 AM UTC-7, wrote:

On Tuesday, August 26, 2014 3:08:53 AM UTC-4, jon_banquer wrote:

The A-10 Thunderbolt II & GAU-8 Avenger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHv50lXfDHQ

Yeah, but I don't really believe in manned aircraft that
much any more, because the ground-to-air stuff is too strong.
Its better that military aircraft are un-manned.

Sorry but I could not agree less.

Watch all the video links I put up. Military personal will describe
what the A-10 does that nothing else can do. You need to
understand why it's important to loiter on the battlefield and
why you often need a human to observe with their own eyes and
make decisions.

The Air Force doesn't want the A-10 anymore, they have never
really wanted it.

The Army wants the A-10 because it's their best friend. They are the one's who tell A-10 pilots what they need it to do.

Yeah, but the idea is still that what's being shot at the A-10 at the end of the Vietnam war (when it came into service) like projectiles moving at Mach 5 or so is not the best of what it has to face now (stuff like laser beams that can melt/blast/vaporize to hell stuff at over 60 miles away - possible from several modern industrialized nations).

Don't believe me? Lets look at the never-ending conflict on the Israeli border. Do you realize what the Israeli military is using when the say the phrase "iron dome" ?? Jon, there is also use of a computer controlled .3006 inch, 7.62mm mini-gun like ground-to-air assembly that can not only shoot down enemy in-coming rockets, mortars, cannon-shells, etc..., but has also suceeded in shooting down OTHER 7.62 millimeter rounds.

Can you believe that? A computer that can shoot another bullet down with the same type of bullet? Its also backed up with ground-to-air missiles and computer controlled laser technology. Its possible to shoot down an armored ballistic missile at over 60 miles away - I mean vaporize it, with it moving at speeds of over Mach 10.

Now. With stuff like that, you couldn't even FIND the leftover debris of a lumbering 300mph 1970's era A-10.

That's why the Air Force is backing away from this thing and replacing it and the Harrier Jump Jet with the F-35.

It carries just as much firepower, but it can land vertically making radar detection by stuff like this tougher. It can rise back up into the air and attack almost like a helicopter against this kind of stuff.

A-10s need too much room to land and take back off for that.

(its just a matter of physics - but the A-10 Thunderbolt II has to go. Sorry)