Posted to alt.home.repair
J Burns J Burns is offline

Default A/C problem

On 8/26/14, 12:51 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
Yes. 'stat has built-in pause period to protect compressor for too many
cycles without resting(like safety lock out) Think this is unique
feature for heat pump controlling thermostat. Dumb 'stat won't have
this important feature, only tjhing it has will be an anticipator.

My thermostat is for conventional heating with air conditioning. I
bought it to replace a mechanical thermostat. I was glad to read about
the delay in the specifications.

When the display says "cool," that's supposed to mean the cooling relay
is closed and there's 24 VAC on the terminal for the yellow wire. When
I went to run the AC for the first time this year, I turned the
thermostat from "off" to "cool." "Cool" flashed and the AC didn't come
on. Seven minutes later I realized it was the delay. Now I know what it
means when "cool" flashes.

I want to sue the manufacturer for my 7 minutes of anxiety! I hope he
has deep pockets!