Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stone work question

RobertMacy wrote:
On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 05:52:50 -0700, Terry Coombs
wrote:
...snip....

I'd check with the "experts" here too . This floor is looking better
and better , the rocks here in Stone County Ar have a fairly high
iron content ,
and the reddish colors really pop in contrast to the gray of the
mortar . I
need to get some muriatic to finish cleaning mortat haze , vinegar
works but
not as well as I had hoped .
About the weight issue , this wall is directly over one of the main
support beams . I'll probably be adding extra crossblocking between
the joists to be sure I don't have any sag - though if this is a
solid mass when
finished , I'm not so sure extra blocking is needed .

Only as a matter of protocol, and not because you need to, I'd use
fireplace high temp mortar. Why not? small amount.

We have high iron content here, too. Here's a 'heads up' be really,
really sure you want that gray mortar look before you do it. When I
first did it, I thought nice contrast, then slowly started to hate
it. After using sakrete color, brown, from home depot; the mortar
became 'similar' in color to the stones, which left the stones
dominating, not the mortar when I looked at it. Now when I look, I
see the stones. Seriously, be really, really sure you want that gray
mortar dominating over the look of your stones.

My wife and I really like the look of the floor , with the contrasting
colors . The wall will have smaller mortar joints , I won't be filling the
joints smooth/flush like the floor . This type of stonework is very common
here , probably due mostly to the easy availability of rocks - there's a
reason they called it "Stone County" ... our house will use the same type of
stone facade up to the bottom of the windows , then white oak split shakes
above to the eaves . I'll be using as much native material as possible ,
just like they did in the "Old Days" . Interior finish is planned to be
"rustic" , also incorporating native materials as much as possible .
I may have to build a bandsaw mill to get the lumber I want ... We've
got nearly 12 acres of trees , predominantly whit and red oaks . Can you say
"Solid Oak Cabinets" ? I knew you could ...
--
Snag