Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Just Curious. Questions....

"Sonny" wrote in message

Took 3 days to sand the treste board. Live edges, with small bug/larvae
holes (pencil lead size) near the edges and a few other small
defect-like
holes/blemishes, elsewhere. I applied BLO, wiped off the excess. In
the
holes, the BLO couldn't be wiped off, but there was no puddling. It
seemed to have soaked in, well.

The wiped areas will dry quick, compared to inside the holes.

How long might it take for the BLO, in the holes, to dry, before I could
continue with the finishing? I'm supposing at least a week.

The tabletop boards have similar small holes, as the trestle board.

There are larger larvae holes (1/4" - 3/8" diameter) in the leg units
and
these will be soaked with BLO, when I do them (not anytime soon). I
suppose these larger (deeper?) holes may take longer to dry, than that
of
the trestle board's small holes. How much dry time might these larger
(deeper?) holes require.... an additional week or two?.... Longer?...
Hard to say!

I'm guessing a month, maybe more. My can of linsed oil always has drips
around the spout...takes a long time to cure but I've never timed it. You
could make holes of various sizes in something, fill'em up and see how
long. When the oil turns dark brown, it is cured.

And as nailshooter said, it never really hardens - not hard like varnish -
but cures to a rather rubbery mass.

--

dadiOH