Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Virtual welding

On Monday, August 25, 2014 6:37:32 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 15:14:53 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck

wrote:

On Saturday, August 23, 2014 8:40:31 PM UTC-4, Ed Huntress wrote:

We ran an article in July that may be of some interest to the welders

(weldors?) here -- training welders with a virtual welding setup. It's

mostly of interest to commercial fabricators but it could be the

future of welding training for a lot of us.

Anyway, judge for yourself:

http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/fabs.../july2014/#/14

--

Ed Huntress

Editor

FAB Shop Magaizine

Many (25 or so) years ago, I designed an O/A simulator for the College of Aeronautics at LaGuardia airport. We had am analog lightpen built into a torch with pots or the O & A valves, a touchscreen and a programmable videodisk player. All very cool stuff for its day. We built five prototypes, fully functional, and as far as I know, they did use them in the classroom.

'Sounds cool. You should see the system Lincoln Eletric has now. Wow.

One slick thing about it is that it tells the student what he did

wrong.

--

Ed Huntress

Our machine did too. I swear, some day I'm going to meet the voice-over actor face-to-face, he's gonna say, "you need to adjust the acetylene needle valve, not the oxygen needle valve" and I'm going to deck him.