Posted to alt.home.repair
KenK KenK is offline

Default Roof leak advice?

I live in an ancient 12 x 65 mobile home. The metal roof, after years of
annoying leaks, was sealed with a thin layer of foam about 5 - 10 years
ago.

Last Thursday we had a severe thunder storn, lots of wind and rain. A few
days later I noticed a faint ~1 x 1 foot stain on my living room ceiling
at the wall (maybe been there a long time and I never noticed it?
Possible but not likely.). I climbed up this morning to look at the roof
at that point. I see nothing there or anywhere near it - roof and coating
look just fine. There does seem to be a seam between metal panels on the
outside wall at that point that is spread a bit, but I suspect it was
always like that - I just never looked. Unfortunately, there is a little
awning attached a foot or so below the roof in that area to shield the
large window below it from the sun, so I can't easily get real close to
the 'leak' point, only about three feet away. Thus I can't easily fix the
seam gap without climbing on the roof and hanging over the edge, at 79
not very safe. Ad besides, I suspect it will be difficult to drill and
drive screws there.

Suggestions? Currently I'm in the mood to wait and see; it might have
been the unusually strong wind and rain that helped cause the problem. Or
perhaps the roof hole is a long way from there and the water ran over the
top of the ceiling panels to where the stain is?

TIA