AHilton

Default Recommend Lathe for Wood Turning

There are two things that I've noticed and they are minor.

If you tend to really grab hold of the headstock handwheel to slow the lathe
down quickly, you'll notice that the handwheel gets loose. IF this happens
to you, all you need to do is file a small flat on the spindle shaft where
the setscrews for the handwheel touch it. Don't put the handwheel on again
too tight or too loose. Once you do this, you shouldn't have a problem
again if you even have the problem in the first place.

The second "problem" with this lathe I've found on *some* of them is that
the tailstock tends to creep (doesn't lock down tightly on the bed) if you
stress it. The culprit is the adjustment of the "washer" under the
tailstock that presses up against the bed. Back off the nut under this
"washer" just a bit until the tailstock really holds then put some Loctite
on that nut/thread to hold it there.

Like I said, these are minor and you may never notice them anyway. This is
a quality lathe. I've stressed mine and several others (all Jet Minis) to
their max and they've handled it.

If you're seeing over $300 these days, you're looking at the new variable
speed model. It's not worth it, in my opinion, for this kind of lathe. The
"regular" Jet Mini should be found for $200 or a little less.

- Andrew

Any weak spots anyone is aware of with this lathe, things to watch out
for or change right away?