Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum polygonum is offline

Default We must be right in the sh1t ...

On 24/08/2014 15:02, Broadback wrote:
The EU is also on planning to reduce the power of other domestic
devices, including kettles.

So, for example, a kitchen mixer that takes 600W now might, with more
efficient design, reduce that to 400 or 500W. But even that is ludicrous
as a target. The target needs to be total energy input rather than
wattage. After all, a 500W mixer might take 50% longer to do the job.

Targeting input watts only makes any sense with respect to the power
utilities and distribution.

It is also arguable that some devices should have a target of 0W. A
coffee grinder might be a very inefficient approach to the problem - it
could be that buying ground rather than bean coffee is inherently much
more efficient. (No - I don't want this to happen, but we do need to
appreciate that changes in wattage within the kitchen could have effects
elsewhere - such as the great coffee grinding factories.)

--
Rod