Posted to alt.home.repair
Unquestionably Confused Unquestionably Confused is offline

Default How To Cover Romex in the Attic

On 8/24/2014 8:13 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, August 24, 2014 8:58:42 AM UTC-4, FTR wrote:
Is there some rubber product that would work in this application?

From a code standpoint, just wood stips, eg furring strips, higher than
the cable is all that's required. That's cheap, but they would also be
easy to trip over, depending on where they are located. I can't think of
anything that has the profile you likely want, except products made specifically
to cover up cords, etc so that you can walk over them.

I was going to suggest the "homemade cover" as you suggested. If
tripping on the raised furring cover is a concern, why not "go low."

If the Romex is running perpendicular to the joists (which would seem
likely in this scenario - else why run the Romex above the joists and on
top of the floor), why not just move the Romex out of the way and cut
out a strip of the plywood just wide enough to lay the Romex back in it
and tack it down where it crosses over each joist?

I'm thinking that 1½" max ought to do the trick.

Not knowing the exact circumstances that FTR is looking at it's
difficult to come up with THE best solution.

I'm sure that there is a solution that will work but the "Pick Two Rule"
(as always) comes into play.

"Cheap, Fast, Correct! Pick two, because that's all you get!"