Posted to alt.home.repair
John John is offline

Default Windex kills ants but leaves my walls blue (better idea?)

On 8/23/2014 12:44 AM, Susan wrote:
replying to Susan, Susan wrote:
susanwilliams wrote:

I have an ant infestation and I spray windex to kill the swarms of tiny
ants but it takes so much to kill ants that the carpets, walls, and grout
turns blue from the dye in the commercial window cleaner.
Do you know if I just buy ammonia and mix it at the correct percentage
that
it will still kill ants without staining my carpets blue? What
percentage of ammonia would you use?
Do you know HOW ammonia kills the ants?
Is there a better way to kill an ant infestation?

Vinegar works beautifully to destroy the "scent" or whatever is attracting
them at their point of entry, but it won't kill the ants. Put full
strength white vinegar in a spray bottle and spray the cracks and scented
line they all follow in single file at their point of entry. Then spray
the surrounding cracks and areas around it, both inside and
out.. They disappear quickly if vinegar is sprayed in this way. So much
better than toxic chemicals and cheap. I'm unsure if this works in large
populations of ants. Mine have not returned either.

Ever think about looking into ant traps? Terro makes several varieties
for both inside and outside of the home. They do the job with no muss or
fuss. The stuff is taken back to the nest and kills the nest, no harsh
chemicals to poison your pets or rug rats.

If you Google you can make your own concoction but the Terro ones are
cheap enough, and as I said, they work.

John