Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_17_] Frank[_17_] is offline

Default Cutting Pyrex

On 8/22/2014 2:03 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 22 Aug 2014 11:09:39 -0500, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

My wife just bought some new pyrex baking pans , and the one we want to
use is just a hair too long to close the oven door on - this is a small oven
in a camper . My question is can I cut the little bit off so we can use it ,
or will it shatter like tempered glass ? I have both a wet saw for tile and
wet/dry diamond and masonry cutting discs for my angle grinder . I think the
best choice will be the tile saw ... but I've been wrong before .

( I looked just for giggles )

This guy is cutting Pyrex tubing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tbm8V9vyMk

Some of the comments may be of some help. YMMV

Back when I was in school, I would cut glass tubing of much smaller
diameter by scouring with a file, breaking and polishing ends by
abraiding with a piece of metal screen.

Also did some simple glass blowing with Pyrex like repairing flasks or
attaching joints. Would temper by diminishing flame and slowly removing
to get out stresses. Was not hard to work with.