Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Tidal power

On 23/08/2014 17:21, harryagain wrote:
"John Williamson" wrote in message
On 20/08/2014 08:25, harryagain wrote:
"Dennis@home" wrote in message
web.com...
On 19/08/2014 19:20, harryagain wrote:
"Dennis@home" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 18/08/2014 09:56, "Nightjar \"cpb\""@ insert my surname here
wrote:

£15k invested with a medium risk portfolio I have with HSBC would
have increased to £22.78k over 5 years. I wonder if he has made
as much out of the FIT.

He would have made about £5k but at zero risk.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...efficient.html

You aren't very energy efficient if you are using 7000kWhr a year.
That's more than I use and the daughter uses a lot.
You need to do better if you actually want to save the planet.

I could never save £4000 a year on energy, I don't pay anywhere near
that
much and never have. You must waste a lot.

You're not clever Den are you.

I use around 4000Kwh/year

Which means that if you didn't have all your gubbins, you would have to
have spent about £4500 per year on energy for your house. Pull the other
one....

But the saving includes some for the car.
And no gas bill,
And tax free.

My *total* energy bills including all the petrol for the car and all the
diesel fuel for the boat are about £2500 per year.

I could possibly reduce them by abut £500 by getting rid of the Land Rover
and buying a G-Whiz, but I'd need to hire a van once a month or so, or pay
to get the coal and gas delivered which would eliminate *that* saving
quite quickly.

Unless you live in a mansion with no insulation, it would be quite hard to
spend more than £4000 on energy. When I lived in a reasonably insulated
house, I spent about £3000 p.a. and I wasn't trying to economise. Then
again, I wasn't ripping the rest of the country off claiming a large FIT
payment.

Tch. I said BENEFIT.

You neglect the income from the solar panels which is tax free and is paid
whether you use it or not.
Some of the 4000Kwh comes from the solar panels and hence is free.
And I have zero gas bill.
You're not good with money are you?

I'm not good at ripping off other taxpayers, no. On the other hand, I'm
as good with money as I need to be.

And you live on a boat, a tenth the size of a house.

A`quarter the floor area of my house, half the floor area of my last flat

I bet you have one of those little stove thingys too?
With pictures of castles and roses painted on it?

Nope. It's cast iron, bare metal, and burns anything I can get into the
hole. It's cheapest and best fuel is coal, with renewable fuel costing
between 4 and 6 times the amount per kilowatt hour, either in cash or
considering my time collecting and preparing it for use at the National
Minimum Wage.

Paraffin lamps?

They're not allowed on boats nowadays, though if they were, I'd modify
them to burn vegetable oil, for preference rapeseed oil, which I could
also modify slightly and burn in the engine and save a bit of money.

I have seen a narrow boat with PV on the roof.

Which makes very good sense when you're off grid. They are cheaper to
run than a small generator, as well as being silent in operation.
Unfortunately, they don't work well in the short Winter days, when you
need more energy for lighting, so the generator or engine need to be run
for an hour or more every day. They can just about keep up with the
fridge in Summer, as long as you don't also try to charge your laptop.

You don't know much about boats, do you?

--
Tciao for Now!

John.