Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pulling rails from the ground

On Wed, 20 Aug 2014 08:14:11 -0500, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 22:26:25 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:
snip
I pull 25 year old apple trees out by using hydraulic cylinders to
wind a chain up around a drum. The amount of force needed varies
HUGELY with soil conditions, moisture and time of year ( 1/3 force to
pull right after ground thaws)

So the anwser is, "It depends"

Karl

Anyone who has a rough time surmising that 2x 30 feet or so of railroad
track and 15 or so wet ties is not going to weigh anything even near to 30
tons is a blithering idiot.

==================
I don't think the problem is lifting it once it is loose,
but rather getting it loose. The rails/crossties are
constructed the way they are specifically to prevent
loosening during use, minimize frost heaving etc. Iggy may
well need to develop some sort of railroad spike puller to
free the rail, and then something to grip the rail and pull
it out of the ground where it is embedded, and possibly
rusted to the tie.
http://tinyurl.com/pelpzzh
it may be possible to rent these tools
http://tinyurl.com/qglvrtk

Or simply torch cut the spike heads off. Should be able to do it
pretty quickly. Only need to do one side of the rail and simply spread
the rail out from under the spike on the other side. Fish
plates...shrug

Good luck, and let the group know how you make out.

Photos!!

Gunner

--
"Living in the United States now is like being a Tampon.
We're in a great place, just at a bad time."