Posted to uk.d-i-y
news[_7_] news[_7_] is offline

Default We must be right in the sh1t ...

On 23/08/2014 18:29, Adrian wrote:
On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 17:52:59 +0100, news wrote:

Nobody voted for this govt. That's the trouble with coalitions: nobody
votes for them [1].

Nobody _ever_ votes for _any_ Government. People vote for their MP. The
party with most MPs form the Government.

People generally vote for a party, Who the party rep is in a particular
area, is incidental in most cases (with a few celebrity driven
exceptions)

The reason they choose the candidate to vote for is a separate thing.
Their vote does no more, no less than go towards selecting _their MP_.

Technically I agree with you, but in practice in a lot of
constituencies either party could put up Donald Duck as the candidate
and Donald would get voted in as MP. When Donald gets to parliament he
does exactly as he is told by the party big wigs. In these
constituencies people are effectively voting for (or against) a
government. This applies to the vast majority of constituencies with
only a small proportion making any real difference to the colour of the
government.

--
Chris