Posted to uk.d-i-y
harryagain[_2_] harryagain[_2_] is offline

Default OT Tidal power

"Nightjar "cpb"@" "insert my surname here wrote in message
On 19/08/2014 19:17, harryagain wrote:
"Nightjar "cpb"@" "insert my surname here wrote in message
On 18/08/2014 10:25, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , "Nightjar
\"cpb\"@" "insert my surname writes
On 18/08/2014 09:37, Tim Lamb wrote:

I can sympathise with the original PV investment on a purely
commercial
basis: 15K spent, no intention to ever relocate, original FIT
payment....

£15k invested with a medium risk portfolio I have with HSBC would have
increased to £22.78k over 5 years. I wonder if he has made as much out
of the FIT.

I understand share price inflation over a long enough period has kept
up
with property etc.

Indeed, but you can do quite a bit better than the stock market, if you
have a good spread of investments, take the long view and don't mind if
some of the investments don't work out too well.

I suspect the lack of dealing charges and zero risk would be more
attractive.

Harry's idea of investment seems to be putting money in a Building
Society, so he probably is in the risk averse category.

No, my idea is property. (And land)
Buy a wreck with a very obvious problem and fix the problem and do it up.
Up sizr when prices are down.
Downsize when prices are up.
Extend the small property.
All part time DIY of course.
And tax free.

Here is a propety that had a very obvious problem. No road and 3/4 mile
from
the highway.
Google EarthNP4 8TT
There is now a road as you will see.
I knew for a source of free rock. So the road went in for around £1000
About two thousand tons of rock were needed.
I bought that house for £25,000 & sold it ten years later for nearly
£400,000
Probably spent another £5000 on it over the ten years./
So better than shares in the HSBC.
Quite right, risk free.
But a lot of work.

I have done five houses up.
First one cost £400. (Ooop North 1970.)
Retrospectively, I wasn't bold enough, I could easily have done twice as
good and been a millionaire.

I know a builder who did much the same. It is only tax free if the house
is your main place of residence, so you have to live in a wreck for a
while. When we costed out how much he could have charged for his time
doing similar work for other people and factored in the normal rise in
house prices, he had made a profit, but nowhere near as much as he
originally thought.

Exactly so re the tax.
Spare time hobby for me.