Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default We must be right in the sh1t ...

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
It's likely a pretty inefficient design that requires two horsepower to
lift some dust.

I really don't believe that. We have been making electric motors for 150
years or more and I'm pretty sure - particularly in these days of
'efficiency' - that manufacturers will have striven to get the most
power out of their motors for the least power in.

Why should they 'strive'? They're not paying for the electricity. But they
are for the motor, so the cheaper, the better.

Because these days, it's seen as expedient for manufacturers to be seen to
be trying to wring every drop of efficiency from their products. You could
use the same argument to ask why the makers of TV sets or fridges or washing
machines or a myriad of other consumer electrical items would bother to try
to make their products more efficient, but they have ...

I'm not convinced the speed the average vacuum cleaner motor/fan runs at
is ideal. More likely just convenient.

Convenient how ? They can design the fan any way that they want and make
the motor run at any speed they want. Do you seriously believe that they
would just pick some arbitrary combination and declare "that'll do then ...
" ?

They certainly make enough noise
and get hot.

And that's important because ?

Arfa

--
*Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.