Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Pulling rails from the ground

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 21 Aug 2014 07:47:35 -0500, Ignoramus10365

On 2014-08-21, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus14649 fired this volley in
:

This is quite clever. Have a leg down from the end of your boom, then
you can really apply enormous force without tipping.

Yeah, but guys have been 'popping' trees for decades with 26HP tractors
weighing 1800lb... you don't need a five ton tractor with a one-ton
counterweight!

I've pulled dozens of adult orange trees from clay-bearing soil with a
1948 Ford 8N tractor. Easy-peezy, if you know how (with NO damage to the
tractor or the driver).

I have never seen an orange tree, are they big or small?

I'll never forget the drives from Vista to L.A. At the curve in the
road where Ana(imal)heim lies, there were so many orange groves that
when the trees were in bloom, you could smell the sweet scent for
miles around. I wonder if that's why they called it Orange County...
We'd hit that spot and drop all the windows in the car to catch more
of it. Just heavenly! I like it so much that I still grow mock
orange (Philadelphus Lewisii, IIRC) here to smell the blossoms in the
spring.

Orange trees in LoCal were about 12' tall and round. There were maybe
40 or 50 groves in Vista, San Marcos, Fallbrook, and Escondido when I
was growing up there. Most of those have been uprooted and planted
with TickyTacky houses all in a row. Sickening.

http://hdwhub.com/orange-tree.html

Do you remember the famous, 'Orange Blossom Special'?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.