Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Avast fraud

On Friday, August 22, 2014 12:57:13 PM UTC-4, Mayayana wrote:
I STILL would like to know where in the computer world a person could go to

complain about what seems like shoddy business practice Ombusman? Magazine?

Regulatory body???

You still didn't provide any details, so it's hard for

anyone to assess the situation, but it sounds to me

like you got what you paid for. You've apparently

taken hours of their time and they were able to do

a system restore for you. No one could guarantee

to fix your PC and rcover your data in all cases.

You really should just try to find someone local,

or a friend who can manage your PC for you. With

phone support you might get someone from India

reading from a list. You might even get someone

who really know what they're doing. But even then

there are limits to remote support. And you're not

likely to get great support for $179/year. How much

time can they afford to spend for that cost? I know

people who get tech support for $200 *plus service

calls*. The $200 only covers a visit once per year

to renew AV, renew a Carbonite backup subscription,

etc. The tech support people are basically getting

the customer to buy various protection and backup

services so that tech support won't be needed.

We don't know the specifics of the plan she bought. But clearly no plan
can guarantee that they can fix any PC problem over the phone. Are they
going to send a new MB or hard drive throught the phone, if that fails?
And from just a software standpoint, if certain things get corrupted, at
some point, the only logical thing to do is restore the system back to the
as-shipped condition. Virtually all systems sold today have a backup image
on the drive to allow you to do that.

If I were HB, and the system is really screwed up, I'd backup the files
I want to save to either some local
media or the cloud, then execute the procedure where you interrupt the boot
and have it wipe the thing clean and reload the as-shipped state.