Posted to alt.home.repair
Mayayana Mayayana is offline

Default Avast fraud

I STILL would like to know where in the computer world a person could go to
complain about what seems like shoddy business practice Ombusman? Magazine?
Regulatory body???

You still didn't provide any details, so it's hard for
anyone to assess the situation, but it sounds to me
like you got what you paid for. You've apparently
taken hours of their time and they were able to do
a system restore for you. No one could guarantee
to fix your PC and rcover your data in all cases.

You really should just try to find someone local,
or a friend who can manage your PC for you. With
phone support you might get someone from India
reading from a list. You might even get someone
who really know what they're doing. But even then
there are limits to remote support. And you're not
likely to get great support for $179/year. How much
time can they afford to spend for that cost? I know
people who get tech support for $200 *plus service
calls*. The $200 only covers a visit once per year
to renew AV, renew a Carbonite backup subscription,
etc. The tech support people are basically getting
the customer to buy various protection and backup
services so that tech support won't be needed.