Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default Bicycle, crash hat and accident

On Friday, August 22, 2014 3:19:49 PM UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , fred

writes

So what do all you people who shout actually shout ?

I just say hi, or something like that. Works fine.

WTF Bicycle bells have been in existence for years so have proved

their usefulness. Why take the chance that a shout might be

mis-interpreted whereas a bicycle bell is a very distinctive and is the

acknowledged way to do it. Bicycle bells are not that expensive. And if

it doesn't work then you can holler like a pikey.

Sadly my hearing no longer responds to the *ting* of a modern bike bell

and on a couple of occasions the cyclists response to an admonishment

has been *I did ring my bell*!

I would like cyclists on dual use routes: bridleways, byways, tow paths,

to be required to give adequate warning when approaching pedestrians

from the rear.

--

Tim Lamb

A notice on one of our local tow paths requests that cyclists give two tings on their bell when approaching pedestrians.

Of course cycling on a quiet country road or on a tow path is totally different to cycling in heavy traffic. Most motorists in their cocoon will not hear either a bell or a shout.

Personally when approaching pedestrians on a tow path I will slow right down until they hear me. A shout may be regarded as ill mannered and/or upset them as might even a polite ting. Best to be certain. On two wheels you are vulnerable to a shove.