Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Is this too much for a finial base?

On Thursday, August 21, 2014 11:23:58 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
;~) https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/14804240738/

My first thought was the base should not dominate the aesthetic view of or essence of the finial. The finial is the main piece, the main focus, and not the base in any way, yet, the base needs to complement the finial. Your base seems to be okay, to me. You can always make 2, different sizes or design, and run them past your customer.

Since I purchased the "Furniture Treasury" book, by Wallace Nutting, I've often referenced it for a historical reference, in cases as this..... what has been the (seemingly) common practice or what seems to work the best, as used in the past. The bases, on the finials shown, show the base's diameter are equal to or smaller than the finial. If you're in no rush, I can scan the 15 pages and email them to you, later this evening. I haven't read the text, so I'm commenting on the pictures, as to design/size.

Sonny