Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Headboard progress

On 8/21/2014 7:05 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Wednesday, August 20, 2014 7:07:08 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:
All of the wood cutting is done and pieces are fitted, stained and have their first of 3 coats of varnish.

Looks good. Seems the pieces aren't as complicated as I was assuming, but I had never paid close attention to those Federal design features, to replicate them. I've never had a Federal project, to consider having to make them. Your pic is worth a thousand works, and a good reference. Thanks.

I'm impressed with your fabricating that "crown". Similarly, I have a couple of decorative corbels, salvaged from an old building in New Orleans. Have you ever had reason to consider fabricating a decorative corbel? I'm sure you would do a reproduction justice. You're expert enough not to need them, but would you like a few pics of these corbels, for possible future reference? Ever since I obtained them, I've been wanting to try my hand at duplicating them or something similar, for the experience and learning. *One or two need minor repairs.

I turned the finial this afternoon and stained it. I should be finished this weekend. And then the entertainment center for another customer. https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/14798208179/ https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/14798348987/

I rarely turn anything. I should practice more, as a turning friend prods me to do. Which reminds me, I had saved the scraps of the walnut rootball to give to him. I need to contact him.

Sonny

Thank you!

I simplified the project for the sake of keeping the price reasonable.
;~) The piece that I was copying had dental molding also. the customer
was more interested in getting rid of the current "Olympic Circles/Audi
Logo style head board than have a perfect match. I warned him that the
color and other details would not match. He was fine with that.

I would very much like to see pics of your corbles.

I have owned a lathe for probably 30 plus years and my wife gave me a
new one about 13 years ago. Until the last couple of years you could
probably say that the money spent on the lathes and the turning tools
was not money well spent. I still do not turn a lot but if you are
interested in turning and don't want to go through the learning curve I
VERY HIGHLY recommend buying 3 more turning tools. 2 years ago my wife
bought me 3 Easy Wood turning tools, the yellow, red, and orange handled
tools pictured in this link. If you have done any turning at all you
will be an instant pro with these tools. They really are as easy to use
as the video indicates.

BTW, Sonny, is that your real name or nick name? I have been Sonny all
my life to those that know me. Until I started first grade I knew
nothing but. I had to get used to being called Leon. ;~)