Posted to rec.woodworking
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default Lesson learned...

Sonny wrote in
:

On Thursday, August 21, 2014 1:02:50 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
Think anybody will notice that one of the four legs on an
end table is

about 1/16" narrower than the other three?

I didn't notice it, until you mentioned it.

It must be the possibility that the waste piece falls into the
blade (and

it even upended as a result).

I guess one would have to anticipate that the sharp edged piece
would fall into the narrow space.

Which I clearly failed to do -- a mistake I won't make again.

In that anticipated case, glue a scrap piece to that cutoff edge,
which would prevent the problem.

Easier to replace the zero-clearance insert with the factory insert, so that the offcuts drop all
the way through. In fact, since I cut all my tapers using a sled that rides in one of the miter
slots (see my post a couple years ago titled The Ultimate Taper Sled) there's no need for
any insert in the saw throat at all. Might even improve dust collection.