Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair,comp.mobile.android
Avraham Bernholz Avraham Bernholz is offline

Default Why is the micro USB so fragile compared to mini USB cableends?

Ralph Mowery wrote, on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 18:41:59 -0400:

That is why I asked why the origional poster was plugging
in about 3 to 10 times a day.

I never formally measured how many times I plug in a day,
but, for the smartphone, it's at least 3 to 5 times a day.

For example, I get in the car, and plug in the phone (otherwise
the battery will die with the GPS running). I use the GPS and
go to the store (I use the GPS with traffic all the time, even
if I know where I'm going).

I get out of the car at the store and bring my phone.
Back from the store, I plug her back in.
Off to my next errand.

Then, I get to work (let's say), and pull it again, and then plug
it into the work USB cable. Each time I run to a meeting, I unplug
it (the darn thing only lasts a few hours and I've been caught
dead too many times).

Then, it's off to lunch, and we plug it back in at the car, and
back off, and then back at work we plug in, and off, etc.

Back at home, we run the same routine. So, the total number of
plugs in and out is easily about 20 a day (or so), but only about
five or ten on any one cable.

If the battery would last all day, that would be a different
story, but it won't last more than a few hours.