Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus14649 Ignoramus14649 is offline

Default Pulling rails from the ground

On 2014-08-20, wrote:
On Wednesday, August 20, 2014 2:03:34 AM UTC, Ignoramus26736 wrote:

My question is, will 30 tons be enough force to pull rails up like

that?
Thanks

I am assuming that you are only pulling one rail at a time and that you will be pulling about 5 feet of rail free and then moving the jack. My guess is that you will only need about 8 tons at the most. So you might want to be able to substitute a smaller hydraulic cylinder that will operate faster.

This is a guess from pulling fence posts with a jack. So let us know what works.

I will see. I will hook up the cylinder to the bobcat. I realized
there is no reason to use a 110v hydraulic unit here when I will have
the bobcat. The bobcat has a huge pump and speed is clearly not an
issue, neither is the hydraulic system pressure.

My plan is to work backwards, pull a bit of rail, have it torched off,
back up, pull some more, maybe in 10 foot sections. The bobcat will
both move, as well as power, the hydraulic contraption.

This is how it looks.

beam
!! ; O
!! ;chain |
!!post ; [ ] hydraulic
!! ; [ ] cylinder

The cylinder pushes the beam up, which cantilevers on top of the left
post, a chain is attached to the middle of the beam, to pull up the
rail.