Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default Pulling rails from the ground

I want to pull rails up from the ground. Otherwise I would have to dig
rocky ground just to get to the nails. It would be expensive.

I talked to a couple of people. My neighbors at the warehouse are
railroad people, and I asked one scrap yard who knows railway
scrapping.

They both told me that it should be easy to pull out and I should
first just try the bobcat. I have a Bobcat S300.

If that does not work, I will try a hydraulic puller. We built one
today for this job, maybe it will come up again. I will see how it
works out and maybe will post a video.

I took time off in college to earn money to continue college. Worked at
a local paper/pulp mill. They had a spur rail road running from the
mill, across town to the main rr line. I worked a few weeks on the
maintenance crew. Heavy, but interesting work.

Their rails were the standard 90 pounds per yard rail. Probably what you
have. You will most likely have to cut them at least in half to put on
your truck. Be careful with fire!

Good luck and would love to see the video!

Paul