Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Why is the micro USB so fragile compared to mini USB cable ends?

"Avraham Bernholz" wrote in message
Andy Burns wrote, on Wed, 20 Aug 2014 20:31:19 +0100:

Physically, I will admit the apple lightning connector is nicer, it's
still small, is reversible and it inserts smoothly, but I wouldn't want
a proprietary connector.

Funny you should mention the lightning as I have iPads which
I also want to extend, so, I bought these extension cables today:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=30iamj5&s=8

I haven't opened them, because, when I got home, I realized that
I *maybe* should have gotten USB 3.0 extensions, instead of USB 2.0
extensions?

Assuming the big end is plugged into something of high enough power,
does it matter if the USB extension cable is USB 2.0 or 3.0?

No, what matters is how much metal there is in the wires in the cable.

I mean, I understand that 3.0 is more power,
but that is for the port, right?

Yep.

Is it also the cable?

No, the wire gauge isnt specified in the standard.

That is, would I lose some power simply by connecting the iPad to the
lightning to the USB 2.0 cable to the 2.1 Amp wall charger ?

You can do if the wire gauge is too low so you get substantial
voltage drop in the extension cable.

The best way to check that is to get one of the USB
voltage and current meters off ebay for peanuts.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-Charger-...-/201116495155