Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.mobile.android,sci.electronics.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Why is the micro USB so fragile compared to mini USB cable ends?

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Personally I don't like micro USB. It's too small, doesn't self guide
on insertion, the orientation is non-obvious and with the lack of
self guidance is the thing not going together because it's miss
aligned or the wrong way up?

Physically, I will admit the apple lightning connector is nicer, it's
still small, is reversible and it inserts smoothly,

Main downside is that the contacts are all exposed on the
end of the cable. That hasn’t bitten me yet, but it will sometime.

but I wouldn't want a proprietary connector.

Yeah, I'd much rather have the same connector on everything.

But particularly with some very small devices like the Nokia BH-505
bluetooth headset, I do like the tiny proprietary Nokia jack because
that has just a tiny hole in the headset, under a bit of rubber that
stops water and sweat getting in it when the headset is being used.