Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg Guarino[_2_] Greg Guarino[_2_] is offline

Default The next in my series of kindergarten woodworking questions

On 8/20/2014 10:28 AM, Swingman wrote:
On 8/20/2014 8:47 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:
If I run a strip of tape that is wider than the area to be covered, then
use the ladder stile as a cutting template, I figure the masked area
will still be a smidgen too wide; I'd rather the finished area continue
under the edge of the joint a very small amount.

Never got a clear understanding of whether you are pre-staining and
masking off the area that will have glue on it; or your masking off the
area that will be stained?

The former. I think I'd need to be awfully perfect with the tape line to
do it the other way.

The former (pre-staing) is absolutely the best way to avoid not have the
problem with glue causing a problem with the finish.

If the latter, removing any tape, with or without a bit of glue on it,
from between two pieces of glue joined wood can be a royal PITA.

Might want to consider another method, like letting the glue set for
about 30 minutes and using a sharp chisel to remove it before it dries
completely.

I have done that, but only with the "safety-net" of prefinished surfaces
to protect me. I worry that the line at the corner would still be
visible after staining.

---