Posted to alt.home.repair
Mayayana Mayayana is offline

Default Avast fraud

As others have said, you don't provide any information
about exactly what you signed up for, nor about what
was wrong with your computer in the first place. Many
things are not fixable by reomte tech support. The only
links I see online are for a free "PC repair" tool. Those kinds
of tools are generally unnecessary at best. There are
hundreds available. Some people swear by many of
them, like the popular CCleaner, but if you occasionally
clear your Recycle Bin and delete TEMP files, there's
nothing else of value that those programs do. So-called
Registry cleaners are risky programs that also do nothing
worthwhile. Again, some people swear by them but the
facts just don't support that view. A Registry cleaner
removes maybe 100 or 200 outdated Registry settings
that are doing no harm. When Internet Explorer starts
up it typically makes about 5,000 calls to the Registry
in about 1 second. (You can confirm that with tools
from sysinternals.com.) The Registry is a database.
Removing perhaps .1% of the values in a database that
can handle thousands of accesses per second is clearly
not going to have any affect on performance.

But that kind of software ia appealing because
it makes people feel like they're treating their PC well --
like the satisfaction of waxing one's car.

If you really need tech support I'd suggest that you
ask around to friends and find someone local. Big
companies that do tech support (Staples, for instance)
generally just have unskilled workers who are trained
to run scripts and software, like anit-virus. Most
of what they do you can do yourself.

"Higgs Boson" wrote in message
| Does anyone know of an "ombudsman" type of person or site where I could
upload my problems with Avast.

| They sold me a policy to "fix anything wrong on computer". Not only do
their techs not know their *** from their elbow, but their hours and hours
of unsuccessful efforts have ****ed up my computer so badly I have lost
valuable programs and documents.

| They do not answer Certified Mail and emails, so it looks like they are
blowing me off. Maybe if some entity more powerful than Consumer Sucker
leans on them?

| I understand such "ombudsman" or whatever you call them, do exist, so
maybe you resourceful people can direct me.