Posted to rec.woodworking

Default SawStop science

wrote:

I saw a demonstration - and cannot figure out why :
: it works on a finger
: it works on a hot dog - being held by a finger
.. but not on a hot dog that is not held by a finger !

"Bill" wrote:

Maybe you should describe your knowledge about electricity and
electronics first. Understanding this is not as
simple as eating a hotdog. You may need to brush up before you
properly approach the question.

Capacitance technology is older than dirt.

Most capacitance probes are found in level measurements in
process vessels.

Over the years I nave probably sold 1,000+ probes that have involved
either continuous level measurements in vessels that contained
conductive or non-conductive contents.

The same is true of point level devices (Saw-Stop is a point level
device).

Again the probe can be engineered to monitor either conductive
or non-conductive materials.

The vessel can be either conductive or non-conductive.

I've sold probes to operate at temperatures of 1,000F.

Although the science of capacitance probes is rather straight
forward and well documented, the real work is the application
engineering required to properly define the design of the probe
such that the probe solves the problem at hand.

I was fortunate to have a great application engineer,
but father time punched his ticket a couple of years ago,
far ahead of his time, but that is life.

As Bill has suggested, getting involved in an in depth discussion
of Saw-Stop technology is a little more complex than one might think.

Lew