Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default SawStop science

wrote:
On Tue, 19 Aug 2014 18:01:11 -0500, dpb wrote:

On 08/19/2014 5:13 PM,

I saw a demonstration - and cannot figure out why :
: it works on a finger
: it works on a hot dog - being held by a finger
.. but not on a hot dog that is not held by a finger !

The demo's w/ the hotdog I've seen had it on a stick swinging into the
blade...altho thinking about it, perhaps it was a metal rod so there was
still a sizable object of capacitance in effect in contact...

As the mechanical design article says, it's on the capacitance-matching;
similar in principle to the capacitance-sensing lamp switching.

I guess that is what I need to have explained ...
Thanks for the web links everyone - but none of them explain -
- to me - how a finger stops the saw .. but a hotdog that is not
held by a finger does not stop the saw ?
Anyone have any idea ?
John T.

Maybe you should describe your knowledge about electricity and
electronics first. Understanding this is not as
simple as eating a hotdog. You may need to brush up before you properly
approach the question.

---
news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ---