Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.com is offline

Default SawStop science

Hi all ;

Can anyone provide a somewhat scientific .. yet
simple explanation - of how the saw-stop
_detection_ works ?
I saw a demonstration - and cannot figure out why :
: it works on a finger
: it works on a hot dog - being held by a finger
.. but not on a hot dog that is not held by a finger !

I'm really missing something - and it's driving me crazy !

John T.

Not sure what you mean by not on a hot dog that is not held by a
finger. Have you really looked into this at all? Have you asked any
questions of the manufacturer?

It was explained in the seminar but not demonstrated that
if you fed a hotdog into the blade - but not holding it in your hand -
- ie just having the hotdog held between 2 pieces of wood -
the sawstop would not function to stop the blade ...
it would cut the hotdog !
That's what I couldn't understand.
That's what I need to have explained.
Regards ;
John T.

Very fair question but... have you posed your question to the manufacturer?
Do you really think you're likely to get the right answer in an internet
newsgroup?

Question the manufacturer - not yet - the seminar was just today.
Valuable info and answers from a usenet group ... you bet !
John T.