Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Idea for repairing my laptop power jack

On Fri, 15 Aug 2014 04:25:16 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

Hmm... these two 500 GB Seagates have been spinning for about 6 years
now. (24/7, RAID-1.) Perhaps replacement disks would be a good idea...

I've come to the anecdotal conclusion that it's not how many hours you
run the drive, but how many times you turn it on and off. I have a
1995's vintage Conner Peripherals CFA1080A SCSI drive running in my
Xenix server. The box has been up since about 1989, but various parts
and pieces have been replaced along the way. The drive was installed
in 1996 and has been running flawlessly for the last 18 years.

I get somewhat less lifetime with my server drives and RAID NAS boxes.
Leave the drives spinning and they seem to last nearly forever. Run
them in start-stop mode, and they die quickly.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558