Posted to alt.home.repair
Tegger[_4_] Tegger[_4_] is offline

Default OT -Which hearing aid batteries are better, Eveready or Ray-o-Vac?

Stormin Mormon wrote in
:

On 8/19/2014 7:45 AM, Tegger wrote:
Which is basically what I said, based on my 47 years of wearing
hearing aids.

Read my posts. There are factors other than battery-life that are
important with hearing-aid batteries.

I've found that Duracell don't make
good electrical contact.

Really. I've been using zinc-air Duracells in 675 and 13 for very, very
many years and there has never been one single problem with them. Not one.
Ever. Except when they accidentally make it into the laundry; and that
kills any hearing-aid battery.

Back in the '60s and '70s you occasionally encountered dud batteries in the
pack. The pack was therefore provided with little holes in the plastic
blister and a conductive surface on the backing paper. That way you could
use a multimeter to quickly check the voltage of each cell in the pack
without removing them from the pack. But those days are LONG gone, along
with the mercury that was then used. Modern batteries are 100% reliable now
regardless of brand.

And that Eco Gold last much longer.

I'll have to take your word on that, since I'd never heard of that brand.

I see from Eco-Gold's website that they buy these batteries from Varta, a
well-known European battery maker. It's strange that they can advertise
them as having "longer lasting high voltage", to be less prone to
corrosion, to have assuredly consistent voltage across the battery, and yet
still be 60% of the cost of "the most common" batteries.

Assuming Eco-Gold's claims of the "most common" batteries costing about
$1.12 each for a pack of 8, and assuming they last two weeks, I'm spending
roughly five dollars a month to run my two hearing aids. Trying to cut that
cost is pointless. And batteries are available in any drug store.

--
Tegger