Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Don Y[_2_] Don Y[_2_] is offline

Default where to buy inexpensive test lab supplies?

Hi David,

On 8/17/2014 10:02 AM, David Eather wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2014 00:30:47 +1000, RobertMacy
wrote:

Wow, I posted a question on buying caps and received several Digikey
recommendations. These caps at $.18 ea for 5 quantity. Yeah, that's
good, thank you. BUT!!!

for ten test leads to cost $100 seems a bit high!

for a solder sucker to cost $18.60 seems a bit high! where the same
unit at BG Micro was around the reasonable price of $6.23

So begs the question: Where to buy 'reasonably' priced lab supplies?

Anywhere you can.

+1 grin

Seriously.

Some of the local "electronics stores" are outrageously priced
when it comes to components, etc. So, I mail-order those from
Digikey.

OTOH, they (apparently) don't keep upgrading the prices on
items unless they make a new purchase. So, something that has been
sitting on the shelf for YEARS will often have an old, LOW price!

I've been exploiting that to purchase Kester solder that sells on
Digikey for ~$50-$65 at a local, no-shipping-required price of $35!
Of course, you need ot be "eyes on" to see these prices...

Consider buying some test lead wire and MAKING leads (if you're
just making leads for DMM's, etc.). I've done that many times
in the past when I wanted longer leads than I had available. Or,
when I wanted a higher quality (flexible) wire, etc.