Bob Beckwith

Default New Lathe Questions

I am buying a lathe and need some advise from all you experienced
turners. I intend on turning some spindles and some bowls and of
course what ever comes to mind. Mainly small projects. I am looking
at the Delta L200, Grizzly 8691, Grizzly 5979, General Maxi and the
Jet Midi. These are in my price range. All will turn about the same
size projects all weigh about the same. General is a bit heavier and
the G5979 is much heavier at 190 lbs. but a good price for what you
get. Two main questions: The Grizzly 8691 has true Variable Speed 0 -
3000 RPM. All the rest have the pulley system which you manually
change the speeds which range from 500 - 2800 . Is it a big
advantage to have the type which goes down to 0 so one can slow the
speed down to 50 or less RPM to finish projects? Is the slow speed
feature worthwhile to have? A turner told me that when he was
painting or spraying his finished project it would be nice to be able
to slow the lathe right down for the drying process. Is this an
important feature? Regarding the head stock: None of them have a
swivel head stock that you use for outboard turning except the
Grizzly 5979, but none of the ones I have looked at that have a swivel
head stock have a true variable speed. Is it possible to modify any
of these lathes that don't have a swivel head stock so that the head
stock with rotate 90 degrees? Is it much of an expense to modify the
5979 which has a swivel head stock to a true Variable speed. In a
perfect world I would like a lathe the size and price range of the
G5979 that has a swivel head, the added weight and true variable
speed, but can't seem to find such a lathe. Do any of you know if
there is one made with these features without going to a large General
at a $1500.00 price tag and even this doesn't have a swivel head
stock? Sorry for the lengthly post and I do appreciate all comments.