nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertMacy View Post
PS: just saw the film Sicko by Moore. Is Canadian health system really
that good?
I don't know because I've never seen Roger Moore's film "Sicko" and I've lived in Canada all of my life, so I don't have any other health care system to compare it to.

But, I can tell you that over here, everyone is entitled to free health care because it's covered by the taxes that all Canadians pay. You do have to wait for a long time to see a doctor sometimes, but emergencies are treated right away.

For example, my mother once fell and broke her wrist. She spent about 4 hours in a hospital emergency room waiting to see a doctor.

I once got hit by a large truck while riding my bicycle and the driver thought that he'd run me over (but he didn't). I woke up in an ambulance on a stretcher and unable to get up. I got whisked into a hospital emergency ward where they got me to move my toes and fingers first, then my hands and feet, then raise my hands and feet, then they did a CAT scan on my head to make sure there was no brain bleeding, and then they kept me under observation for an hour or two before finally letting me go.

So, emergencies get treated right away, but unless it's an emergency, you can spend a long time waiting to see a doctor.

My understanding is that in the USA there are both government run hospitals that anyone can go to, and "for-profit" hospitals that you can't go to unless you pay for your own treatment or you have health insurance which will pay for it. I don't understand how your system works, but I am quite happy with the free health care system we have in Canada.

But, I wouldn't put too much faith in any documentary (Roger Moore's or anyone else's) about health care in Canada vs the USA. There are always going to be cases you can find where the US system worked better and faster than the one in Canada and vice versa, and any documentary that just highlights a few cases won't show the whole picture. But, truth is, most Canadians are very happy with the free health care we receive.

Last edited by nestork : August 17th 14 at 03:56 PM