Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default Bicycle, crash hat and accident

In article , John Williamson
scribeth thus
On 15/08/2014 20:43, Dennis@home wrote:
On 15/08/2014 18:10, John Williamson wrote:

Buses are the most efficient motorised way to move people round the
average town or city, and can fit over 50 passengers in the space
occupied by a dozen cyclists displaying their normal behaviour.

The hell they are.
Outside rush hour they are empty unless you reduce the service to a
tenth of rush hour.

Have you looked at a bus closely lately? Most services now are purely
commercial and if they don't carry enough passengers to pay (Average
about 30% of the potential maximum over the route length), they're
removed from the timetable. There are still some subsidised services,
but they are getting fewer by the year.

And I didn't say they *always* fit 50 or more passengers into the space,
I said they *can* fit over 50 passengers into the space. IME this only
matters in the rush hour periods, when cyclists are also more common,
and cause more holdups.

Always the way with most Any transport system during rush hours, hardly
standing room, rest of the day might just as well run a few people
carriers around for the passenger traffic level.

Same on the trains I don't know just how those poor unfortunates cope
with the rail journey from Cambridge to London during the rush hours the
return of which seem in the evening to be getting ever later.

Most of the day theres a very long queue of idling taxis, come rush hour
you can't get one for love or money!...

--
Tony Sayer