Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Jim Mueller Jim Mueller is offline

Default Super Capacitor Voltage Protection Circuit

On Fri, 08 Aug 2014 15:50:31 +0000, EngineeringGuy wrote:

When connecting "super capacitors" in series to increase the working
voltage above the level of the individual capacitors, does anyone have
an active voltage clamp that would not discharge the capacitors when the
power supply is disconnected? Most "super" capacitors have a working
voltage of 2.5 or 2.7 VDC... I would like to connect 10 capacitors in
series for a 25 VDC capacitor stack. Most suggestions call for
connecting equalizing resistors in parallel with each capacitor, but I
would rather have a circuit that would not discharge the capacitors when
the power is off... anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

There are commercial products for this purpose, for example: http://
www.aldinc.com/pdf/ALD8100xx.pdf. These also have a reverse diode built
in but they don't give any specs on it so you may need to be concerned
about that.

--
Jim Mueller

To get my real email address, replace wrongname with dadoheadman.
Then replace nospam with fastmail. Lastly, replace com with us.