Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_17_] Frank[_17_] is offline

Default Removing old fence post

On 8/14/2014 2:09 PM, micky wrote:
The fence post I thought was broken off near the bottom, under ground,
turns out to be broken off just above ground level.

The post still in the ground seems to have turned into dirt.

What do you all think about using my wet-dry vac to vacuum out the moist
dirt. Will I ruin the vac? Will I ruin the foam cover inside?

When I buy a new post, what do you think about my getting one 1/2" less
in diameter? Easier to put back in the hole?.

The post is about 4 1/2 " in diameter, but interestingly, the middle 3/4
to 1 inch is still made of wood. Below ground level (to a depth not yet
known) it's not dirt yet, and in the piece of the post that was standing
above ground level, it's different from its surroundings too.

What's the hole made of, concrete?
Otherwise, every homeowner should have a post hole digger.